If you have time and want to have a bit of fun with your cake mixture, making multi-layered cupcakes is something to experiment with. When the cupcake is cut open, you will see a nice little pattern, as shown in the picture above. The berry radical was used instead of cocoa because it has extra health benefits. It’s very high in antioxidants and you only need to use a little bit of it to get that nice brown colour.
In my video below, I will demonstrate how you can create that lovely multi-layered look using the cake mixture. Any left over cake mixture that was not used for layering the cake was still placed into paper cups to bake to avoid wastage. Still tastes great!
185g Unsalted Butter (softened)
3/4 Cup Caster Sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
2 Cups Self-raising flour
1/2 Cup Milk
2 tablespoons Miessence Berry Radical
Icing Sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (or 190ºC).
- Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla essence until light, white, and fluffy.
- Add beaten eggs gradually, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in sifted flour and add milk.
- In a separate bowl, add 2 tablespoons of Miessence Berry Radical and add a little bit of hot water. Mix well.
- Spoon about half the amount of cake mixture into a separate bowl.
- Add and mix the berry radical into one of the bowls with the cake mixture. You should have two different coloured cake mixtures to work with now.
- Place your paper patty cases/cups into the patty cake tin
- Add layers of each colour cake mixture into each patty case/cups
- Place into oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let it cool before sprinkling the cupcakes with some icing sugar to decorate them